Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why are Children Obessed with Pokemon Cards?

My boys are obsessed with Pokemon cards.

They love to collect them. They trade them. They watch Pokemon on TV. They have Pokemon video games. They beg me to watch Pokemon videos on You Tube. They carry their Pokemon care collections, neatly displayed in binders, to school with them every day so that they can trade with the other kids at the babysitters after school.

I don't understand it.

Normally, I would write it off to "it's a boy thing" and be done with it, but my niece is also obsessed with Pokemon.

What is it about Pokemon that 7 & 8 year olds find so utterly fascinating??

They boys tell me about the characters and what their "evolvinations" are. Basically, I think the little Pokemon animals turn into powerful fighting machines. I hear stories about Pokemon characters told to me like the boys are talking about real life events they have witnessed or something that happened at school that day.

Maybe it's the trading they like? Maybe it's the collecting? Maybe it's the game they play with the cards? It's hard for me to believe they actually like the TV show. What do you think? Why are children obsessed with Pokemon cards?

1 comments:

Kimberly said...

My nephews are totally addicted to them to. Once they asked me to play and when I couldn't understand it for the umpteenth time they made me bow out of the game in "you're old" defeat.

Post a Comment