Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sick Kids, Helpful Husband

There has not been one day since Thanksgiving that someone in my house hasn't been sick. It started with a stomach virus Khegan brought home from his mom's house the weekend before Thanksgiving. It was a short-lived 24 hour virus that he got from his sister. He was sick on Sunday night and seemingly better by Monday afternoon. 

Around this same time dear hubs and I were getting a 'cold' (from hell) but we didn't know that yet. 

So Thanksgiving rolls around. We hosted. There were had about 30 relatives at our house on the big day. Things went fairly well. Everyone brought a yummy dish. I managed to cook a decent turkey. The half dozen or so kiddos running around the house thankfully did not break anything, spill anything, or hurt anyone. After a fun filled day everyone went home, mama collapsed on the couch, and my helpful hubby finished the clean-up efforts. We were in bed by 10 o'clock.

At 11:30 Riley was knocking on the bedroom door, "Mommy... Mommy... MOMMY!"  Then I hear running ... bathroom door opens... toilet seat slams up... and the puking commences.

One by one over the next week and a half the stomach virus makes it's rounds. Not only with my little family, but also the extended family - all of our Thanksgiving day guests.

Luckily, little Micah man managed to avoid the stomach flu, although he did run a temp off and on during this time.

Meanwhile I have a cold that will not stop. I stock up on Dayquil, Nightquil, and cough drops. I suffer through work because I recently called off to stay home with sick kids. When you're a mom your sick time no longer belongs to you. You're sick - you work. Your kids are sick - you call off. 

Fast forward to Mid-December. 

Christmas Shopping. 

Picture this... Micah has been patiently drug along all day all day while DH and I do some shopping  - big kids are in school and we are taking full advantage of the opportunity. We hit Old Navy, Bath & Body Works, Khol's, we stop to pick up a few gift cards at various places, and even stop for lunch. Micah seems to be feeling a little under the weather, but he is being a trooper. One more stop on the way home. 


We spend about an hour shopping and our cart is full to the gills. As we proceed to the checkout line, DH notices Micah's ears are draining (kiddo has had so many ear infection that he to get tubes last March and the ENT said if we see drainage that equals ear infection). So there we are in line to check out. John is holding Micah. I am pushing the cart. John says Micah feels really warm. I turn to feel his head and inspect his ears that's when it happens... how that much PUKE can come out of such a little person is beyond me! ALL over John, all over Micah, all over the floor. Some one me, but I managed to avoid the worst of it. 

As the responsible parents we are, we get Micah's ear drop script filled ASAP and start treating his ear infection. We give him drops for 10 days. He starts to feel better as we approach Christmas. 

I'm still hacking. John still has a sinus infection. Micah's ear infection appears to be improving. Then, Christmas Eve, Riley uncharacteristically asks to go to bed at 9 o'clock - he's not feeling well. That develops into another stomach bug for him. 

Micah seems to start getting worse, not better. During the week after Christmas, he gets congested again and then starts running a temp again around New Years Eve. Thinking it has to be a cold (remember, we've already treated the ear infection) his daily treatment consists of baby Motrin, Vicks Vapor Rub at naptime and bedtime, and extra cuddles. No improvement.

Finally, I call the pediatrician yesterday and they asked us to bring him in to make sure the ear infection did actually clear up. 

Now, since I've used so much sick time over the last month staying home to take care of sick kids, my helpful hubby, being the great father he is, makes arrangements to take this morning off and take Micah to the doctor's office. He had to call the office today because you can't make a 'sick visit' in advance. They can't get him in til 11 ... they wait in the waiting room til 11:30 ... and then another hour in the exam room before the doctor sees them. And guess what?

He STILL has an ear infection! 

So by the time DH goes to Walgreens to pick up the antibiotics and a new dose of ear drops, it's after 1 pm and so much for the work day, right? He calls to give me a quick update as he heads to the pharmacy and then home to relieve our nanny, who has been patiently waiting for several hours (thanks, Nyla!).

The point of this long, rambling, story?

It is STRESSFUL when you're sick and your kids are sick and your husband is sick and you're trying to juggle your family AND your work responsibilities!

Thank goodness I am no longer a single mother! And thank the Lord that my hubby is not afraid to roll up his sleeves to take care of sick kids, change a diaper, clean the house, fold laundry, or cook us a meal. I am truly blessed to have such a great husband who is always willing to step up to the plate and take care of anything (and everything) that needs done. 


Post a Comment