Saturday, May 1, 2010

Motherhood for the New Millennium: A New Breed of Mom

Amidst the hustle and bustle that is my life, it occurred to me that I am new breed of mom; somehow different than the many breeds of moms that have come before me. I’m not an old fashion housewife kind of mom, I am not a ‘stay at home mom’ (or SAHM as the internet lingo reads), I am so much more than a ‘working mom’, I am no longer a ‘single mom’ (having just got married last August), I am rebelling against being called a ‘step-mom’ (which I now am although I do not like the negative connotation that goes with the term), but with all my imperfections I am nowhere close to being what one would call a ‘supermom’. So where do I fit in the world of motherhood? I have broken the mold. I am a different kind of mom. I am a New Breed of Mom.

I believe that, as a parent your goal ultimately is to facilitate the creation of a positive sense of self within your child and be able to provide them with a sense of familial security in a fast-pace and ever-changing world. When these two factors are present, your child will have a strong foundation to build upon as he (or she) struggles to find his place in this world. Providing happiness and security for your child; that sounds simple enough, but it is no easy task. Especially if you work, are a single parent, if you have more than one child, are a step-parent, or if you are also someone’s wife, girlfriend, sister, or friend.

Let’s face it. We all have a variety of other roles we play in life besides being a mom. So how do we juggle it all? How do we give our best to our children when our best is already gone by the time we get home in the evening? Our bosses, professors, friends, parents, siblings, and significant others often require our best, whether that be our best patience, time, hard work, thought, or effort. Then before we know it our best has disappeared, all before we step foot into our home for the evening or pick up our children from school.

Every mother is different, with each one having a unique set of circumstances contributing to their situation. There are so many different terms and categories for mothers in our society. You could be a Soccer Mom, Hockey Mom, Single Mom, Step Mom, Working Mom, Stay at Home Mom, Birth Mom, Adoptive Mom, Foster Mom, Teen Mom, Suburban Mom, Urban Mom, and the list goes on and on. However, my guess is that you can’t fit neatly into any one of those categories. Although one category, or maybe several, can partially describe a small part of a tiny piece of your life; it can’t begin to describe the whole you. My guess is that you are a unique individual with many different talents, interests, and hobbies. I would venture to guess that you, like me, have experienced a great many things in your life and have learned a lot along the way. You, the whole you, the total package of you, is a collection of your unique life experiences as experienced by you, through your eyes.

So how can we, as mothers, be put in one, teeny-tiny, stereo-typical, category of mother? The simple answer is we can’t. That is why I have decided to create this blog. My vision for this blog is a collection of articles, advice, and anecdotes shared by many different women coming from many different backgrounds, all with one shared goal: to be the absolute best mother you can be! New Breed Mothers all have one, and only one, thing in common - they spend their days juggling the craziness in their lives and their own unique set of unforeseen and often times unusual circumstances.

I would be delighted to have you follow me on my journey as a mother. Please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, and stories as they pertain to the content of this blog. I only ask that if you share, you are respectful of the other woman who might read this blog. Because, as I was taught long ago by one of the great role models of my life, my Grandma, us woman have to stick together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment